Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Wrapping Up The School Year


Well...that time of year is approaching the Hollinger household; we are wrapping up our first year of homeschooling. I have to say the beginning of the year went better than the past few months. However, we made it ALL the way through the year...which I will be honest...I did not think was going to happen. Our studies consisted of the core subjects of Language Arts, Literature, Math, History/Geography, Science, and Spelling. For electives we studied German, Piano, Drums, Bowling, and Baseball. I'd like to say that how we started is how we finished. But...life happened and many changes were made to accommodate what was going on within our family at various times throughout the year.

The school materials for the kids were student-led and they finished all subjects but Math and History before my surgery a few weeks ago. They will be working on Math and History until the end of June. Somehow we fell a little behind in those two subjects. I still can't figure out how, but it doesn't really matter as this little bit of school work gives the kids something constructive to do. They have completed end of year testing...which I am anxiously awaiting the results. Even though I know in my heart they did great, the human side of me sometimes doubts my decision to homeschool this past year. Seeing their scores will be the final affirmation that I made the right decision....I hope...hehehe!!! I know that for this year homeschooling was what was needed for our family.

Many people have asked if we are going to homeschool next year. As of right now we are not going to homeschool next year. Both Kortney and Jake have enjoyed spending this year with me, but they are ready to go back to school. Kortney has friends that she met at other bases we have lived at that are now living at the base in England that we are moving to in July. Jake loves to be surrounded by people and will make new friends very quickly. I do have a feeling that once they start going back to school that they are going to miss the flexibility of homeschool. I won't be surprised if we homeschool again in the future. I'm holding on to the 8th grade materials just in case.

1 comment:

Deresa said...

I'm glad that you got to have the experience. I know that I'm still torn about what we will do in the future for Alana. I really would like to home school, but I really don't know how great I would be at it. We'll see. I know you are a great teacher and a wonderful mother. I am very proud of what you have accomplished! Thank you for sharing, as always!