Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Tasty Tuesday - Lentil and Sausage Soup

I'm often asked what types of meals I feed my family.  Mostly I make Weight Watchers Dinners...which surprisingly taste really good.

A dish that I have been making lately is "Lentil and Sausage Soup."  Nick and the kids like it therefore,  I usually make a double batch so that there are some leftovers.  I've not tasted it because I don't like beans and there are tomatoes in it, which I cannot eat.  But...I can tell you that if Kortney and Jake are eating it...it's got to be good....LOL!

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons olive oil
2 carrots, thinly sliced
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 pound turkey kielbasa, thinly sliced
1 1/4 cups browns lentils, picked over and rinsed
5 cups water (I use organic vegetable broth)
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:

1.  Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add the carrots, onion, and garlic.  Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes.

2.  Add the kielbasa, lentils, and water; bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes (I've noticed the lentils take about 45 minutes to become tender).

3.  Stir in the tomatoes, salt, and pepper.  Simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes longer.

**I think this dish would be really good with some cornbread drenched in butter...but remember to factor in the extra fat and calories**




I'd like to end this post with a small chuckle...enjoy!!



1 comment:

Standinginhislight said...

great post, glad to see you back at it!

~Sheri