Monday, July 12, 2010

Uh Oh!!! Detour....

Monday of last week my husband was driving to base only to find out that the direct route from our house to the base had been closed and a detour had been set up. This detour adds 10 minutes to our drive each way....and will until sometime in November. Very frustrating!!! Every time I make that drive...which is often...I become frustrated at the interruption in my day that this detour has caused.

I am the type of person who likes things in order and when I have my day planned I don't do well with changes that arise. Well...what about life changes…things that majorly disrupt how I think life is supposed to be?? Yeah...I don't do so well with those either.

The road to the base is closed for repairs. The road had quite a few holes in it and was rough to drive on. A new road is being paved for a smoother, safer drive. Detours in life do the same thing. They pave the wave for a more comfortable ride. They take us on a new path that can aid in averting damage and disasters. They cause discomfort at first and may be hard to get used to. We may even question why a certain detour was created. I actually drove around one night just to see if I could find a faster more efficient route to the base, and I learned that the route provided WAS the best route. Life is the same way. We question the direction our lives are taking and often become frustrated with the changes that may come our way.

On this drive, I learned the significance of detours; I no longer become upset on the drive to base. This detour is going to make later trips more efficient and safer for my family and vehicle. And...I've learned that I need to embrace life’s detours as well. Instead of complaining about these detours...I need to embrace them...a better path is being created; a path that may seem uncomfortable at first, but will have a rewarding outcome in the end.


Here is a song I found on YouTube.  Can't say it will be a favorite of mine...but in a way it went along with this post.  "Detour".





1 comment:

Standinginhislight said...

I think I have always felt like I am on some sort of detour...just when I figure out where I am headed, God changes my directions, so I just faithfully (but not always so willingly) follow along...
Thanks for sharing such great thoughts.
~Sheri